Monday, March 30, 2009

Steve Tilden

http://www.blackfish.com/Artist-Detail.cfm?ArtistsID=23
(This shows his work that is in Black Fish)
When we had the Portland field trip, either this year or last, one of the galleries had Steve
Tilden's art. I admire his experimentation with materials, e.g. the use of violins, and his layering and colors used in his painting. Antonius Stradivarihorse was my favorite of his 3D pieces, and I generally like the clean lines and long limbs/neck he gives his horses. I was less fond of the paintings that he did, although I did like Io and Prometheus because it was messy yet precise, and I really liked the colors and texture that he used. I like the shading on the face, but I feel as though, on a whole, his painting is less developed than his sculpture, and therefore less appealing to me.

No comments: